Things to do in Detroit
Whatever brings you in to the Motor City, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in culture and arts or need to be close to the major corporate offices, Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney is the ideal and convenient location for your stay.
Check out the following list of must-see places and fun things to do in Detroit.
- Cobo Center
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Campus Martius
- Comerica Park
- Detroit Athletic Club
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Detroit Zoo
- Ford Field
- Fox Theatre
- Foxtown District
- Gem Theatre
- Joe Louis Arena
- Little Caesar Arena
- Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts
- Olympia Entertainment - Fox Theatre
- The Fillmore
How To Get Here
View our List of Things to do in Detroit
- David Whitney Building, 0.0 mi. Experience the historic David Whitney Building from the comfort of your guest room. The skyscraper, newly renovated in 2014, was originally built in 1914. Now an Aloft hotel, you can experience comfort and history during your stay.
- The Fillmore Detroit, 0.1 mi. Live Nation operates this multi-purpose music venue. Recently renovated in 2007, this 1925 theater has hosted some of the biggest names in the music industry.
- Detroit Athletic Club, 0.2 mi. Check out one of the oldest private clubs in Detroit. The Detroit Athletic club is an ornately decorated event space perfect for vibrant city parties.
- Fox Theatre, 0.2 mi. When visiting the Fox Theatre, you not only get to catch a production, but you'll also be visiting a historic landmark that originally opened in 1928.
- Foxtown, 0.2 mi. This vibrant neighborhood in downtown Detroit boasts some of the best restaurants and shopping locations the city has to offer. Shop 'til you drop just minutes from Aloft.
- Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts, 0.3 mi. Located in the heart of the theater district, this 1928 music center hosts events, concerts, and educational programs.
- Gem Theatre, 0.3 mi. Visit the Gem Theatre in Detroit's Theatre District and be wowed by broadway classics and modern theater performances.
- Ford Field, 0.3 mi. Cheer on the Detroit Lions by catching a football game during your visit, just a quick walk away.
- Greek Town, Detroit, 0.5 mi. Experience a bit of Greek culture without traveling overseas! Enjoy the area's restaurants, shops, and coffee shops for a fun afternoon.
- Little Caesar Arena, 0.6 mi. Visit this multi-use indoor arena when it opens in September 2017.
- Cobo Center, 0.7 mi. The Cobo Center in Detroit is the 17th largest convention center in the United States. This convention center is the go-to for some of the largest corporate events in the country.
- Campus Martius Park, 0.7 mi. Enjoy a serene park in the middle of the city at Campus Martius Park. Watch outdoor concerts or take a stroll through the park on a sunny day.
- Eastern Market, 1.0 mi. Support the Detroit community and eat healthy by visiting the Eastern market. With over 250 independent vendors, you'll find whatever you're looking for and more.
- Joe Louis Arena, 1.6 mi. Named after heavyweight champion, Joe Louis, this hockey arena is one out of three hockey arenas in the nation without corporate sponsorship! So, root for the Detroit Red Wings during your next trip and have fun with the whole family.
- Detroit Institute of Arts, 2.1 mi. Visit the Detroit Institute of Arts to check out one of the largest art collections in the United States, which is valued at $8.1 billion.
- Fairlane Town Center, 3.0 mi. Got an itch to shop? Stop by Fairline and enjoy a variety of shops and food options.
- Detroit Zoo, 15 mi. Located in Royal Oak, the Detroit Zoo is responsible for caring and feeding more than 3,000 animals.
- Somerset Collection, 21 mi. Looking for an upscale shopping experience featuring luxury brands? Look no further than the Somerset Collection, located in Troy, MI.
- Michigan Motion Picture Studios, 28 mi. Venture out into the suburbs and catch a film at this 535,000 sq. ft. studio.
- DTE Energy Music Theatre, 40 mi. During your stay, check out the schedule at the theater to catch some of the biggest stars performing.